Historylinks Archive

Ruins of Spinningdale Mill

Ruins of Spinningdale Mill

Date Added: 04 March 2011 Year: 2003 Institution Name: dnhhl Cat No: | 2004_035_11 | Picture No: 10097

Eleventh of a set of 28 monochrome photographs showing the ruins of the cotton mill at Spinningdale built by George Dempster of Skibo. The Mill closed in 1806 (it was destroyed by fire) following a demise in the cotton trade. The set includes negatives.

Dimensions: Length 154mm - Width 102mm

1 Comment

The mill burned down in 1806 following the demise of their business. It seems their workforce was unreliable and disappeared during lambing, harvesting and peating times; hard to run a mill without people.

Comment left on 12 October 2011 at 09:54 by Michael Cameron Many thanks for highlighting the incorrect date in the description Administrator
Form Goes Here