Historylinks Year: 1990
Monochrome photograph of Thomas (Tom) Sutherland and Isabella (Isa) Cameron Sutherland (nee MacKenzie,originally from Gairloch, Wester-Ross-shire, grandparents of teh donor. They are shown at the counter of their shopin Castle Street c 1990. ( See picture #10225 a colour image of them standing at the entrance to their shop).
They ran the shop from the late 1960s until 1990 when they retired in their 70s). Originally the shop had sold Wines, Spirits and Delicatessens but by 1990 increasing competition in Dornoch placed the shop in jeopardy. Tom is remembered as a smart, polite natured man who endeared himself to his customers. Prior to opening this shop it is understand he worked at the Royal Dornoch Golf Hotel (as a barman and the Sutherland Arms as a chauffeur. He had been in the hotel business in Margate, Kent in the 1940s. His brothers were Derek (John), Hamish (William James) and Kenneth (Ken) and his sisters were Ann Margaret Christina (Ira) and Elizabeth Blanche (Betty). There are various photos in the archive of them at Dornoch Academy (and the Scouts for Derek and Hamish). His father was John Sutherland, a renowned joiner of the parish (See picture #1187 pictured with those building Caarbiusdale Castle)
Picture added on 28 February 2018 at 10:01